Friday, April 19, 2013

Running - Attack at the Boston Marathon

I think it is fitting to say that I never expected to be writing a blog post about running. I don't enjoy running, I think long distance running is silly, and outside of Forrest Gump I believe running should be reserved as a form of exercise for those looking to improve their fitness.

However, I need to share a view thoughts on the events that took place earlier this week in Boston. As I am sure you know, 2 bombs were detonated at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, one of the premier distance running events in the world. As we've since learned, the two suspects apparently responsible for the destruction were brothers of Russian decent who had been living in the US for many years but originally from an area tied to terrorist organizations overseas.

First of all, let me express how disappointed I am that any human could find this act of terror acceptable. I have taken ethics courses that suggest different cultures share the same values and just have different beliefs as a way of reaching those values. Unfortunately, I fail to see how anyone can justify mass murder or the attempted assault on innocent parties. It's sad, disgusting, and depressing.

With that said, the events of this week have brought to light a fear I have had since 9/11. Despite my love for sports and athleticism, sporting events are prime targets for terrorist attacks. As far as I can tell, those interested in killing for the sake of killing typically target large audiences where the impact will be as great as possible. And what better place than a giant gathering of people at a known time and location? I don't say this to discourage anyone from attending sporting events. I simply suggest taking caution when doing so and keeping your eyes open for anyone, or anything, that looks suspicious. I also recommend that security measures at these events continue to be tightened in order to keep out anyone looking to cause trouble and allow in those looking to truly enjoy themselves. I know that in the case of a marathon it is very difficult to patrol every inch of a 26.2 mile course, but hopefully this will serve as a reminder that we need to continue protecting those who are innocent and unsuspecting of such inappropriate acts.

So, the next time you're heading to a ball game and you get annoyed that a security officer asks you to turn out your pockets, just remember Boston, April 2013.

- Fishy

No comments:

Post a Comment